General information concerning this issue can be found here.
You can download a pdf with information about excess luggage in your preferred language
As extra information please note the remarks below.
- Passengers originating from Rome Fiumicino or Milan Malpensa are entitled to this free baggage allowance: 2 suitcases for economy class weighing maximum 23 Kgs each, and 3 weighing maximum 23 Kgs for business class. In case it exceeds this limit, it is possible to turn the allowance from 23 Kgs to 32 Kgs by paying € 50. It is also possible to carry additional suitcases weighing 23 Kgs each (for a maximum number of 3) by paying additional € 130 for each. The surcharge can be paid at our office in Fiumicino upon departure while for Milan Malpensa it can be paid at the SEA ticketing office desk. Please note that each suitcase will be weighed separately so it is not the total sum that matters but the weight of each piece. If one bag weighs 15 Kgs and the other 28 Kgs, the excess 5 kilograms of the latter must be paid for as excess baggage.
- The weight of each piece of luggage carried by passengers originating from other Italian airports will be checked from the baggage tag at the time of transit check-in. Any excess baggage fee will be collected then.
- Baggage tagging: passengers are suggested to have their bags tagged to their final destination. In case they continue their journey with another carrier we suggest the baggage to be tagged to their last Ethiopian Airlines destination and to re-check in with the new carrier. It is better to avoid registering the baggage for more than two legs, so as to decrease the risk of misrouting.
- You are kindly requested to check for dangerous items that cannot be carried in registered baggage here.
- Furthermore, the luggage cannot contain the following items:
- Valuables (jewelry, money, electronic equipment etc.)
- Any type of oil.
- Liquids contained in glass
- Important medicines for the passenger
- Travel documents and vaccination certificates
In any case, even in the event of baggage loss, Ethiopian Airlines will not refund more than $ 20.00 for each registered kilogram, as per the standing rules established by the Warsaw Convention.
- Special baggage: for the transportation of luggage that differs from usual suitcases or boxes, such as sporting equipment (golf bags, surfs etc.) please call our airport office in Fiumicino at 06 65954126, from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 1 pm, and from 2 pm to 5 pm.
Economy class passengers are allowed to carry along only one piece of luggage. Its recommended weigh should not exceed 5 kilograms. The maximum permitted weight is 7 Kgs and the total measure of the bag must not exceed 115 cm (e.g. 40 x 20 x 55). Business class passengers are allowed to carry two pieces of maximum 8 kilograms with the same size indicated for economy class.
It is important to abide to these guidelines, for various reasons:
- Any baggage exceeding the indicated measures and/or weight will be unfailingly collected from the passenger at the time of boarding. Considering that at that point in time it is no longer possible to register it, it will be considered as excess baggage regardless the total weight originally carried by the passenger. Therefore, it will be charged as excess baggage with a fee of € 130.
- When collected at the time of boarding, any baggage is subject to manual tagging instead of the automated one that is done at the time of check-in. Due to this procedure, the baggage collected is more subject to loss and damage. Furthermore, in such occurrence manual tagging is done on “limited release” basis, i.e. with less responsibility on the part of the carriers as far as damage or loss are concerned. Thus, should luggage get lost, reimbursements are inferior to standard and subject to evaluation on Ethiopian Airlines’ side.
- In case of turbulence, it is not safe if the storing compartments above the passengers’ seats are loaded with too heavy items.
- Furthermore, please note that there are some other restrictions for hand luggage as far as liquids and fluids are concerned. They must be carried in single containers with maximum capacity of 100 ml, and stored in a plastic bag with maximum capacity of 1 lt. Among fluids and liquids we can number:
- Water and other drinks, soups, syrups.
- Creams, lotions and oils
- Gel (including hair and shower gel)
- Pressurized containers including shaving foams and deodorants
- Paste, including toothpaste
- Semisolid mixtures
- Any other item of similar consistency
Suitcases like any other goods are subject to wear and tear. Therefore, the reimbursement in case of damage is limited to serious occurrences that affect their structure and/or usage, not for smaller faults. Ethiopian Airlines tries to repair suitcases as much as possible. When this is not feasible, the damaged baggage (that must be returned to our offices) is replaced with another one (of commercial brand) with equal features and dimensions.
To ask for a reimbursement for a damaged suitcase, passengers can contact our Rome office at 06 42009230. It is also possible to send us a request by mail through our contact form of Rome and Milan.
Unfortunately, it can sometimes happen that some suitcases get misrouted and are delivered later, or even fail to reach their final destination. The causes for these occurrences are various and sadly they are often beyond the direct control of the Airline.
To obtain a refund these are the steps to be followed:
- Open a P. I. R. (Passenger Irregularity Report) upon arrival at destination at the “lost and found” office. In the case of Fiumicino airport, this office is called “Alitalia Handling” and it is located close to luggage conveyor belt number 8. In case of Malpensa airport it is the “Lost and Found SEA” desk and it is located nearby the luggage conveyor belt number 10.
- Compile the BIF form (Baggage Inventory Form) where you shall make a detailed inventory of all items contained into you luggage. This questionnaire must be handed to the airline not later than 5 days from the date of loss.
- For the first five days the file is handled by Fiumicino Airport Handling company “Alitalia” or by Malpensa Airport Handling SEA. Their contacts are given when the declaration is submitted. Afterwards, from the 6th to the 21st day after the loss, the baggage search is done by our town office that can be contacted at 06 42009230. A follow-up can also be done online at this link.
- In case the baggage is lost upon arrival on the onward journey (not on the return journey) and the whole of the passenger’s luggage is missing, it is possible to obtain a refund worth a maximum of $ 75 for economy class passengers and $ 100 for business class passengers, for immediate incidental expenses.
- When the luggage is found, it is delivered to the passenger at the address given at the time of loss reporting. Before delivery, the baggage has to undergo a customs inspection. Therefore, if the luggage is protected by a padlock or a combination lock, the passenger can leave either the key or the combination to open the suitcase when reporting. If this is not done, the Customs Authorities shall break the lock: in this case, no damage refund will be given by the airline. Another option is that the passenger collects the bag at the airport instead of having it delivered: in this case the bag can be opened in person by the passenger.
- These are the necessary documents to claim a refund for lost luggage:
- The original baggage tag (the one that was originally attached to the ticket or boarding pass at the time of check-in). No refund request can be entertained without the original tag.
- The P.I.R.
- The BIF form
Latest page update: February 25th, 2015